Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Hills Are...

Started hill training tonight. The goal of this week's workout was to focus on form. Just like everything else, there is a technique to running up and down hills. They might slow you down, but when run correctly, they shouldn't tire you out.

Weeks ago, one of the coaches explained the significance of the alternating sequences of short and long strides (tiki tiki) we'd been doing. Short, low strides are good for going uphill without expending too much energy. So I've been thinking rather consciously about that during every workout since, and it makes a lot of sense. Today we did a 1.6 mile warmup run followed by running up and down Cat Hill. There was no set number of laps, we simply had to run up to the top, turn around, and run back down, and so on until they told us to stop. I did 4 of these, and I was surprised when they told us to stop. It was ridiculously humid and I'm still recovering from Sunday's run, but I could easily have done at least two more runs up that hill. I guess I was doing something right: I took it slowly and focused on my posture. I've noticed that even when I walk now there is a new strength and uprightness to my spine that's rather empowering.

For the first time in a few weeks I left a workout feeling energetic rather than completely flattened. It was nice.

No comments: