Sunday, June 1, 2008

So This is What She Meant...

Today was my second practice with the team. So of course once again, it was humid. And warm. Just like my mom always describes New York City summers. There was a delicious breeze while we were running, but this time the dehydration stayed with me all day. I need to learn the balance between good hydration and sloshing stomach. I tend to err on the side of too little when it comes to eating and drinking before a run. I'm the kid that the half hour rule was invented for; in fact for me it's more like an hour. But obviously I do need to fuel my body properly if I'm going to ask it to do crazy things.

On the plus side, we ran into a nice gentleman who has also never run a marathon before, and he ran with us for most of our 4-mile loop. I felt a particular rush when near the end of the loop I pulled ahead briefly to stretch my legs a bit (my quads were hurting and the roomie has shorter legs than I do). I stretched my stride and picked up the pace and it felt amazing, though soon my heart rate slowed me back down. I slowly jogged back to them, and the guy says "and now we hate you." I kind of loved that coming from a guy who I would have assumed was much more fit than I am, and who is taller than both of us (and therefore I figured he was going way slow just to hang out with us).

We had the choice of doing 4 or 5 miles this morning and I have to say I think I could have done at least 4.5, although I elected 4. In a way it was probably a good idea given my reaction to the heat. On the other hand, because the trains were weekend-wonky going to the park and we took some detours on the way home, we were on foot for over 7 miles. Not a bad start to the day.

Oh and thanks to MK for this evening's donation :)

No comments: