Friday, June 20, 2008

So apparently moving to New York, starting a new job, and training for the most physically demanding thing I've ever done in my life is what you might call a lot to have on my plate.

Anyhow, I will try to catch up here.

The heat wave has passed, thank goodness. While I was extremely impressed with my ability to run in it, it was kind of scary and not conducive to progress. And I have no idea how I would have dealt with this week's workout if it had been 90 degrees.

Essentially, running is only partially about lifting your legs up and letting them hit the pavement again. Distance running requires a strong body to carry you through when your legs start getting tired. So we're supposed to spend part of each week doing some kind of cross-training exercise, basically something physical that doesn't involve running. This week's team workout was all about learning exercises that strengthen the muscles we need to keep going.

Picture this: it's Tuesday, you've been at work all day, and you've hustled uptown to the team meeting place. And then your coach informs you that after a warm-up run, you'll alternate 12 minutes of running with 12 minutes of cross-training. Simple, right? Certainly sounds preferable to running 6 miles. Except picture trying to run for 12 minutes after you've spent the previous 12 minutes reducing your leg muscles to Jell-o. I'm talking squats, planks, lunges, hopping, hopping another way, push-ups.... While I understand that this is useful, and that I'm far from being in the shape that I will need to be in, ow. I'm finally getting to a point where I can walk with minimal pain.

I guess it's time to pull out the strength training book again and get cracking.

On another note, we have our first race this weekend. It will be the second one I've ever run, and the first I've run in several years. It's a 5-miler. I'm actually kind of excited; I think it will be fun to be outside with all those runners and hang out in Central Park. Wish me luck!

No comments: