Friday, May 30, 2008

Faster!

I'm at my fabulous internship, so this will be a quick update. In more ways than one.

Last night I went out on the West Side Highway. I'd found this Google pedometer thing (www.walkjogrun.net) that allows you to draw routes and calculate distances, times, etc. So I decided to keep track of time, starting, and stopping points, and then I'd see how far and how fast I'd gone.

When I was using the treadmill, my jog setting was somewhere between 4.1 and 4.5 mph. I have no idea how accurate the thing is, but I also know that I'm just slow because I'm not really a runner and I'm not in great shape. So imagine my surprise when I entered the info into the pedometer and found that I was averaging just under 11 mins per mile, and I'd run more than a 5k. Apparently I have no concept of my speed. When I told the roomie about this, she confirmed that we were doing around 10 min/mile at the park on Tuesday. I realize this isn't super speedy, but still. This is significantly faster than I'd need to go to finish the marathon in the time allotted, which is my only real goal.

Huzzah!

No comments: