Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brrrrr!

Anya yelled at me for not posting. So here's a post.

It has gotten chilly here in AA very suddenly. I run in the mornings and always check the temperature before I go out (I think the lowest temp so far has been 26 degrees), but it's super hard after you have just been throwing on a t-shirt and shorts all summer to start to think about weather-appropriate clothing again. Anya went for a run the other day and walked back into the house after about two minutes to get a jacket. Undoubtedly, I think this is one of the most annoying things about running in the fall: relearning what clothes go with what outside temperature. I am just starting to pin down what my classification system is again. For example: if it is above 35 degrees, shorts are still ok. At 54 degrees, I need to switch to long sleeves. 45 degrees deserves a headband and socks for mittens.

I definitely still need to work out the kinks though and every once in a while I find that I have too much clothing and/or accessories after about a mile. This is why I have an excess clothing tree at about that distance in my run. What is an excess clothing tree you ask? Well, it is this young tree on my run that has a bunch of low branches that I can tuck my extra shirt, mittens, headband, etc. into as I go by. Then, on my way back, I pick all that stuff up again. That way, I don't have to carry it all for most of my run. Of course, occassionally, I forget to pick the stuff up on my way back and it kinda just hangs out there on the tree for a day or so. I was telling Anya about my excess clothing tree the other day and she thought it was pretty funny. I'm not sure why. Personally, I am very appreciative of him. He takes good care of my stuff. (And yes, the tree is a boy.)

1 comment:

Jolie said...

I am totally retarded about guesstimating the right clothing, particularly around the margins (ie change of seasons) but I live by the Runner's World "dress the runner" thingy. They rarely steer me wrong. http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html