Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Week 1

I'm calling this week 1 even though it's not, because it's Week 1 of me writing about what I did/am doing for the week.

Sunday/Wednesday - Strength:
  • Squats, straight-arm raises, shoulder thrust, pull-down, tricep extensions, all with 5 lb weights
  • Rows, bicep curls, wide-leg squats, fly, chest press, all with 8 lb weights
  • Calf raises, side lunges, modified pushups, crunches, bridges, streeeetch
  • When I was in this routine before, I was using mostly 8 and 10 lb weights, so I'd like to at least get back to that before I start changing the routine
Monday - Low impact: Did 50 minutes on elliptical that's not an elliptical at the gym.  "Weight loss" program, level 4 I think, kept heart rate at least 150.

Tuesday - Challenge workout: 5 mins walking, 5 mins warmup at 5mph. 2 mins 4% incline alternating w/ 1 min 0% at 5mph, repeat for 30 mins.  1 extra min at 5mph, then 15 mins at speed up to 6.5 mph (gradual increase with speedy burst at the end).  1 min 5mph and 5 mins walking to cool down.

Thursday - "Easy" run: Not sure I'll make it but if I do, prob 5 min walking, 5 min at 5mph, then 3 miles at least 11:00 min/mile pace.

Saturday - Long run: After 5/5 warmup, 7 miles averaging 11:00 min/mile (start a little slower, gradually speed up).

Out of caution regarding tiring out too fast or pushing my heart too hard, I've been doing the first parts of my runs slower, leading to an unintentional negative split even in long runs.  I think this is probably an overall good thing to get used to because it will feel more natural for me to hold myself back when everyone's bolting at the beginning of the race and I will be used to pouring it on at the end.

No comments: